Skip to Main Content

A New Lease on Life

Dec 22, 2022 By Queens University Communications

After earning a bachelor’s degree in audio engineering from Middle Tennessee State University, Ryan Stevens ’23 enjoyed a fulfilling career in music production for many years before he reached a point where he described feeling as though something was missing.

“I had heard of music therapy from other friends in the industry. The field always seemed unique to me because many years ago I had hoped to become a doctor,” said Stevens. “But as I gave into more artistic longings, that hope had been put on the back burner. So, I reached a point where I decided that I wanted to go back to school.”

Ryan Stevens

Stevens investigated other music therapy programs in North Carolina but fell in love with the focused liberal arts education that Queens had to offer.

“It took a moment to reacclimate to thinking academically and focusing on the long-term goal after being away from the classroom for so long,” he said. “Because I was returning to school for a second bachelor’s degree, I treated the opportunity like it was a graduate program. Everyone was so welcoming and the community here has certainly contributed to my success.”

Before Stevens walks across the graduation stage in May, he will begin a six-month music therapy internship with the Levine Cancer Institute in Charlotte as part of his degree requirements.

“Queens, to me, has really offered me a new lease on life,” Stevens said. “It has shifted my understanding of what I am as a musician and what I can offer the community.”

Learn more about Ryan Stevens ’23 in the following video.